Leaflet: Keep active at work
Keep active at work
Doing stretches/exercises little & often daily will help to prevent common musculoskeletal problems which occur when working. Only do exercises that feel comfortable for you to do. A stretch is ok but you shouldn’t feel pain when doing them.
- Tilt your head side to side slowly, as far as comfortable x 3-5.
- Turn your head side to side slowly, as far as comfortable x 3-5.
- Tilt your head down and up slowly, as far as comfortable x 3-5.
- Slide your chin back, without tilting up or down. Hold 3-5 seconds x 3.
- Shrug your shoulders up and slowly roll them back and down x 5-10.
- Stretch your arms forwards to round your shoulder blades. Hold 10-20 seconds.
- Stand from sitting, with your arms crossed x 5-10. Only do this on a sturdy chair, not one with wheels.
- Turn your upper body to one side and then the other. Hook your arm over the chair to increase the stretch, x 3 each side.
- Use your other hand to bend the hand down as far as comfortable. Hold 5-10 secs x 2 each hand. You don’t have to support it on a table.
- Hands together by your chin. Keep them together and bring them down until you feel a gentle stretch. Hold 10-20 seconds.