Skip to main content

Development Delay

Development Delay


If you are a parent concerned about your child’s development please speak to your GP, health visitor, school health nurse, social worker or early help co-ordinator.

Your health visitor will be able to carry out an assessment of your child’s development and ask you questions about what your concerns are, how it impacts your child’s life, how long this has been occurring, and what sort of help you would like. They may also ask your permission to speak to your child’s daycare provider for their opinion.

There is a range of support that can be offered by the above professionals individually and through working together as professionals (we call this multi-disciplinary working). Following discussion with you they will suggest what opportunities may be available to help, and who may be most appropriate to help.

If the concerns are severe or ongoing, your health visitor will discuss referring you to a Community Paediatrician to seek a potential diagnosis, and to access specialist support.

Potential Sirona services that may also be involved:

  • Health Visitors
  • School Health Nurse
  • Community Paediatrics
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy

If your child is referred to a Community Paediatrician, please expect an ‘opt-in’ letter within 8 weeks of receipt of the referral.
When you receive this ‘opt-in’ letter please make contact as requested to arrange your appointment. If we do not hear back from you within a week of this letter, you will be sent one further ‘opt-in’ letter. If we do not hear from you within two weeks of this, it is then assumed you no longer wish to be seen, and a letter will be sent confirming that you have been discharged from the service.

Leaflet library

NHS Website

For more information about a condition, please visit the NHS website.