As part of their Community placement the medical students visit families in their own home in pairs, for a very informal chat, at a time that is most convenient for you.
The visits allow the students to gain an insight into the realities of day to day family life with a child with complex health needs, including an understanding of the positive aspects and the challenges families may face and what kind of support families value and find helpful.
The visits are appreciated by the students as they recognise the importance of meeting family members which further increases their understanding of complex health needs and provides the opportunity to develop the skills and positive attitudes we value in their role as future doctors.
How the visits help the students
The visits and the feedback you provide:
• helps to support the students to develop a holistic view of the implications of an impairment in childhood
• helps students develop a greater understanding of everyday life with a child with complex needs.
What does it involve?
• The visits take approximately 30 – 45 minutes of your time, once or twice a year and at a time that is convenient to you
• Students will have an informal discussion with you and some notes may be recorded
• There is no need to plan for the visits as students come prepared.
For taking part, we will send you a £10 Marks and Spencer gift card as a token of our appreciation.
Feedback from Parents/Carers
What other parents have said about their
“The students were lovely; I really liked them and enjoyed having them visit”
“It’s nice to talk to students about my experiences”
“It was lovely to receive a £10 gift card, thank you”
If you are interested in taking part, please contact our Placement Co-Ordinator (contact details below).
Telephone (office): 0300 124 5456
Telephone (mobile): 0778 9938 718
For more information: t: 0300 124 5300*
Date of creation: January 2018
Date of review: January 2020